Thursday, March 3, 2016

*TV Review* Fuller House Season 1

Like many of you, I grew up watching Full House. I feel like I actually grew up with DJ, Stephanie, and Michelle, so I was excited by the prospect of getting to catch up with their lives now, even though Michelle didn't want to return to San Francisco. I get it though, sometimes you just don't want to go home again.

As a child, I felt like the focus of Full House was the girls (although I may view it differently if I watched it as an adult). I felt like Fuller House still focused on the girls, really only briefly touching on the kids lives. I liked that approach though, because it helped to keep Fuller house from feeling like a lame remake of Full House. It really is a continuation of their lives.

I'm sad to say that the first episode left me wanting. I could have done without the excessive cheering from the crowd every time a new cast member came on screen. Sure I was excited to see them too, but I was more interested in the actual story. I also felt that the jokes were cheesy and they just fell flat for me. I think they really tried to cram too many of the old jokes into 35 minutes, and they just seemed forced. Fortunately, the first episode was not indicative of how the rest of the season would progress.

Some highlights from this season for me were the celebrity cameos, especially Maksim Chmerkovskiy from Dancing with the Stars. There were also several pop culture references that were a bit cheesy, but hilarious. I especially liked the one about The View.

I felt like this season did a good job demonstrating current parenthood, particularly single parenthood. I liked that it shows that it is okay for mothers to do things just for themselves sometimes, to go out and party on occasion, and to ask others for help. I think there are a lot of mothers out there that could benefit from this message, including myself. And lets face it, those of us that grew up with DJ and Steph are mostly mothers and fathers now.

Although the season got off to a bad start for me, it quickly redeemed itself and I'm greatly looking forward to season 2. If you enjoyed Full House as a child/teenager, I think you'll likely enjoy Fuller House as an adult. - Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment