Thursday, March 16, 2017

What Do Looks Have to Do With It?

It's Thursday, which apparently means it's time for me to step up on my soap box again. This is becoming a trend. (Also, I really wanted an excuse to share this particular graphic background.) For those of you that are new, this is an IABB Confession. The kind folks at IABB are NOT responsible for the content of the confession, they merely provide the platform and arrange for the graphics creation. The confessions are submitted anonymously. 


I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the presumption displayed in this confession. And this confessor is probably not alone in their views. There are surely others who feel the way they do. I just don't understand why anyone is basing their decision to read a book on what an author uses for their picture. Before the advent of social media and ebooks, did you flip to the end of paperbacks to make sure the author looked professional before buying? (They would have because basically all the books were traditionally published, and a publisher would have a vested interest in ensuring that the author had professional head-shots and also the means to get some taken.) 

Can we all just stop telling other people how to run their business. I know I don't like it when authors try to tell us bloggers how to blog. You know why? Because this is my blog and I do what I want. And the way I run things around here probably drives lots of people crazy. That's quite all right by me. At the end of the day, I have to be comfortable with what I'm doing, and you know what, I am. 

But as a blogger I also have the benefit of lower base expectations. I have the option of just being a complete bitch if I really want to be. I don't have to play nice to sell books because I'm not counting on income from the blog to put food on my table. I'm also not shelling out money for things like editing and gorgeous covers that I kind of need to see a return on to make this blogging thing worthwhile. Authors don't have that luxury. In fact, anymore it seems like no matter what they do, they're doing it wrong. "We want to hear about your personal life." "OMG, stop posting on Facebook about what you're doing and just write your books. We've been waiting forever for the next one." "We want to see what you look like!" "Maybe if you weren't posting so many selfies your next book would be ready." The list goes on and on because it's impossible to please everyone. 

Authors, as far as this blogger is concerned, you do not owe your readers anything but a well crafted and well edited story. After all, that is what they should be looking for. Anything else you do for us is just icing on the cake. (I should mention that the icing is my favorite part of cake. Make of that what you will.) But at the end of the day, you also have to be comfortable with what you're doing to run your business, so figure out what works for you, and do it. - Katie 
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment