Friday, September 22, 2017

*Book Blogger Hop* 22 September 2017



We are on to a new week for the Book Blogger Hop hosted by the lovely folks over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. This weeks questions is:
In regards of Banned Books Week (www.bannedbooksweek.org/), what are your favourite books that has been banned or challenged? (submitted by Kristin @ Lukten av Trykksverte)
I'm pulling the titles for my answer from the ALA most frequently challenged list.

  1. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz - Now I understand that the original illustrations in this series were creepy, but that was part of the beauty of the stories. Seriously, if you're reading this book without the original illustrations, you're missing out. 
  2. The Giver by Lois Lowry - I do not know why people object to The Giver, but I imagine the reasons are ridiculous and tied into the fact that this depicts a dystopian society. 
  3. Goosebumps by R.L. Stein - Parents always seem to be objecting to "scary" stories as if their children can't handle anything the least bit frightening. 
  4. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - I imagine this book hits a little too close to home for certain demographics and they don't feel like it's a particularly positive depiction. I can't really blame them, but maybe they should look into their practices instead of trying to stop people from reading about them. 
  5. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling - Alright, I get it. There's magic and that just ain't natural. Apparently having a vivid imagination ain't natural either according to some people. 
So most of my most favorites from the list are children's books, which kind of makes sense when you think about it. I mean, adults should be more worried about what their children are reading than what other adults are reading, right? I just think there are better ways of keeping your kids from reading books you don't want them exposed to than trying to get said books banned outright.
What about you? What are some of your favorite banned books? - Katie 

*If you're stopping by from the link up, please be sure to leave a link to your post so I can be sure to see your answer too.*

12 comments:

  1. I pulled from a different list, but The Giver, Goosebumps, Harry Potter, and The Handmaid's Tail would all be on my list too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many different lists to pull from for this question, which means there are a whole lot of different possible answers. - Katie

      Delete
  2. I found a list that had quite a few books I read in high school for required reading. :)

    I hope someone can find a comprehensive list with the books and the reasons for the ban. I find lists that are not very complete.

    ENJOY your week.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Blogger Hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the most comprehensive list with some reasons for banning that I found last year was on Wikipedia (which we all know is not entirely trustworthy). I definitely like seeing the reasons why books were challenged or banned though. - Katie

      Delete
  3. I respect a parents right to have a say in what their own children read. However, I don't believe anyone should have the right to dictate what everyone else (and their) should read or not read, including my child. I don't think adults give kids enough credit for being able to handle difficult topics, especially if the parent is open to discussion.

    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Of course I can't imagine forbidding my kids from reading anything outright (although there are definitely some things I would forbid until they're older for obvious reasons). - Katie

      Delete
  4. Great list! I loved the Scary Stories series and I'm so glad that I got the copies with the original illustrations!

    Here’s my Book Blogger Hop!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've managed to find two of the three collections at my thrift store with the original illustrations so far...I snatched them up right quick when I saw them. - Katie

      Delete
  5. I recently saw the film of The Giver. I'll have to check out the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty different stories. Like I understand why they changed the things they did, but reading the book is a totally different experience (and better of course). - Katie

      Delete
  6. Ah the Goosebump books! I loved reading them as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so good. I'm thinking about diving into them again...maybe I could do a Goosebumps Halloween feature... - Katie

      Delete