Friday, April 27, 2018

*Book Blogger Hop* 27 April 2018



We are on to a new week for the Book Blogger Hop hosted by the lovely folks over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. This weeks questions is:
Have you ever thought of writing a respectful, but angry letter to an author to ask them WHY they killed off one of your favorite characters in a novel? (submitted by Maria @ A Night's Dream of Books)
So I answered this question back in January when it was originally scheduled because I'd pre-built posts to get me through moving and didn't notice the question had been changed until it was too late. But that was a few months ago, so I'm going to go ahead and answer it again.

Quite simply, no. For one thing, most of the time when an author kills off a character, even if it's one of my favorites, I can understand why they did it. I may not be happy about it, but I can understand why it happened. I don't need to ask the author, they made it clear through the course of the story. But beyond that, I think it's kind of presumptuous to send an angry letter to an author about the choices they made for their stories.

Granted, I don't send letters to authors when I'm super happy with what they did in their books either. I kind of figure that they have more important things to do, like write books, than read my emails.

So what about you? Have you ever thought of writing a letter to an author asking why they killed a favorite character? - Katie

*If you're stopping by from the linkup, please be sure to leave a link to your post below so I can stop by and see your answer too.*

9 comments:

  1. I haven't either. :)

    http://www.sunnybuzzybooks.co.uk/2018/04/book-blogger-hop-have-you-ever-thought.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see I'm not the only one. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  2. I feel pretty much the same way. The only death I remember being really angry about was in a book I read as a kid. It makes sense now though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes characters just need to die, otherwise the fictional world would be way overpopulated. LOL. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  3. I have never done it or thought about it. I don't know, if I ever would really.

    https://booksarethenewblackblog.wordpress.com/2018/04/27/book-blogger-hop-2/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie love that answer, I have not ever written a letter to an Author but at times I've been tempted to ask what happened to these characters? Never done so though.

    Angelica @ Paperback Princess

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the same! I think that the story should generally give enough information/reasoning for the decisions of the author. Authors definitely need to be able to make their own decisions regarding what happens to their characters and how it influences the narrative of the book/series. It is their work after all! Even if we love a character, it doesn't mean we own the rights to them or decide what happens to them. Thanks for sharing!

    Feel free to check out my Book Blogger Hop answer if you wish! :)

    - Charlotte (InkBlottings)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah I definitely wouldn't send an angry letter either. I may discuss it with fellow book lovers as to why so and so happened but it's not cool to come at an author like that.

    ReplyDelete